Sunday, May 30, 2021

Covid Quilt Challenge #17: Whole Cloth Quilt

Last weekend we did another quilt challenge. We started Thursday night again, since we both had the day off on Friday. And Monday was also a holiday. And it turns out I needed all that time just to make one project. (Well I didn't work the whole time, I also needed some times of rest.)

The technique we drew this time around was "whole cloth quilt" - which is a difficult thing to think about in such a small working space.

My friend chose to start with a machine quilted piece. She did a main design of a "B" for her initial and a lovely flower in threads that stood out a little more. She also double-stitched the B.

Then she quilted swirls around it, and echoed inside the B in a thread that blends in.

And added a binding.

I know this looks like a different colour,
but I promise it's the same quilt.
She just lives in a basement
with inconsistent lighting :).

She was done that in the first day (that's one of the benefits of such a small project :)).

For her second piece, she did a more traditional one: hand-quilted, white top, symmetric design, medallion in the middle.

She added extra fabric to the outside so that she could quilt it in her hoop.

She used cream thread for the quilting, and white for the binding.

Lovely yellow back

For mine, I also chose to do hand quilting. I drew out a fairly complicated design, and didn't end up doing all of it. I tried to balance the amount of busy stitching, and letting some poofiness shine through. I even used double batting for extra poofiness :). 

You'll notice later that the inner
cross hatching got cut from the team.

I quilted some parts with burgundy thread and some with white.

I used a solid white for the top and burgundy for the back, so which stitching stuck out more switched on the two sides.

I finished it off with a white binding.

And there you have it: our whole cloth quilts.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your quilts. I have always liked whole cloth quilts. Your friends B shows her artistic ability. The extra batting in yours really shows off your design which is lovely. Your photo of your finished quilt really shows it off. It is difficult to photograph a white/cream quilt.

    ReplyDelete