Sunday, May 29, 2022

Hands2Help Quilts

I am joining the Hands2Help parade and am sneaking in under the wire. I just put the last stitches in the binding and took the pictures :).

One of my goals is to use up some of the fabric I have inherited from various sources. Some of it is definitely easier to use than others :D. For the Hands2Help challenge, I chose to use a panel that I had. It seems like it's an old one, but it's also timeless.

I started by stitching a serpentine stitch down the length of each line. I got the idea from other blogs that I read, and was really happy with how this came together. The only tricky part was when I got to the middle I would have to remember to switch to my regular stitch so I could follow the design along to the next line to go down (I didn't want to have to deal with all those loose ends).

The next thing I did was trace around the scalloped border on the inside. I did this with my regular stitch because I didn't quite trust my ability to do it as free motion quilting.


After that I switched to free motion quilting. I added some grass at the bottom. I'm not good at straight lines, so I drew lines straight across to help me know where I was going. I also didn't want lots of ends to tie in from this so I worked left to right the first row, then moved up and worked right to left. I found that direction harder when I was practicing, so I actually turned the quilt upside down and worked that was instead.


I also traced around all the animals and balloons, and added some clouds to the sky to help fill things in.


I was really happy with the back I found to go with it (also an inherited fabric). Especially since the lines on the front were yellow, pink, green and blue, and the backing fabric was yellow with pink, green, and blue circles on it.


I bound it with a yellow binding, which looks great. This was a bit of a tough one to square up (some of the dangers of inherited fabrics).


This quilt will be going to Project Linus to hopefully make someone happy. I will also be donating two quilts I finished a number of years ago, but that just haven't found their way out of my house yet:




2 comments: