Friday, January 8, 2021

Sewing Party

I know this post is a little late, but I figure it's better late than never.

At the beginning of December we had taken some time off hoping to go see my grampa for his 85th birthday. Unfortunately, because of covid, we weren't able to do that. Since we already head the time off, we decided to make the most of it.

My mother came over for a couple days of sewing and errands. 

She had a quilt top she was prepping to get into the frames. She finished up the hand appliquing, with a few consults on placement. 

This design is a free pattern called Paisley Splash. Once the applique was done, she added a border. I didn't get a picture of that until it was in the frames at Christmas time. 

We both had aprons to make as Christmas gifts for almost 3 year olds as well. We used Sew Simple Home as inspiration, but drew up our own pattern. I chose to use 2 cottons and make a double-sided apron to make it a little sturdier.

I was told my recipient likes yellow, so that was my inspiration as I dug through my stash. I chose to use a plain fabric on one side in order to add a pocket and an initial.

I got a great smiling picture of the recipient on Christmas morning. I hope it gets used to make many delicious things, but more importantly to have great family time together.

I also made a couple of snakes for a couple of big brothers to celebrate the birth of their sister. This is a pattern I have printed out, but I can't find it online again. I chose to make one longer for three older brother and one shorter for the younger brother. These are fun and pretty quick to make. 

In addition to sewing, we went out for a ski/snowshoe. The weather was beautiful and we had just enough snow, so we headed to the local golf course to frolic for a bit. It was a lovely break from the sewing machine. 

 

We also had a lovely trip to Shakespeare to get some quilt batting from the local quilt store. While we were in town we hit up the local pie store for butter tarts. We had to wait outside in line in the cold, but it was worth it! A visit to the British shop rounded out our trip. 

In the evening we went to the park to enjoy the Christmas lights. There was a new display this year of timbits playing hockey. They looked like glowing bowling balls 😀.

We had a great time together, and got lots accomplished. It was just what I needed. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved our day together. Thanks for the memories. I had more than 'a few consultations' from my talented daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed these blogs and pictures. Proud of my talented granddaughter and daughter and friend too.

    ReplyDelete