Friday, May 1, 2020

Fabric Balls

I have been going back through my old photos to find craft projects that I haven't posted about. Probably the thing I make the most are fabric balls. I can't even remember why I started making them, but I do find they are a great gift for young children. They are easy and quick to make, they are cute, and they use small amounts of fabric - so are great for scraps. I especially like to give them as gifts to older siblings when younger siblings are born.


To make them you just need to print off a pattern, cut out the pieces, stitch them together, and stuff them. I like to use the Fabric Beach Balls pattern from Purl Soho (though I always skip the circles over the ends - mostly out of laziness). The pattern comes in 3 sizes, but you can also print it at difference zoom levels to get other sizes. I like the shape of the ball that is created by the 8 sections.

Once I started making those, I was also drawn to fabric balls that were designed to look like animals (I think they came up when I was first googling things). In order to make balls with a face and ears, I  had to switch to a different pattern, so that I had more space for a face, and so that the "middle" would be in the middle of a section (rather than between sections). That's when I found this Free Fabric Balls Tutorial from Stitches and Love. From there I did some designing and came up with a pig, a chicken, and a cow ball that I think are adorable (mostly designed after the finger puppets I made for my quiet book and some other online inspirations).


For each animal, I use french knots for the eyes. For the chicken, I make an orange felt triangular beak and a red ribbon that I fold over and attach between the front and back half of the balls. In these pictures, there are only 2 sections, but sometimes I do 3 sections.

The cow and the pig get pink noses, with stitched nostrils, and ears. I usually make the cow's ears rounder, and place them lower on the face. I put the pig face a little higher up, and make the ears come to a point. I also try to put a fold in the pig's ear when I attach it, though it can be hard when working with such small things).


I have lots of fun making these, and watching them be played with.



I also like playing around with different sizes and types.


No comments:

Post a Comment