Sunday, February 27, 2022

Paper Crafting with Cricut

About a year ago, I decided to use my Christmas money and treat myself to a Cricut machine. I had been considering one for a number of years, but always considered it a pipe-dream. However, I found myself with a little extra cash and decided it was time :).

First project they have you make.

I decided to go with an Explore Air 2. The maker was significantly more and I decided the features it included weren't ones I would really take advantage of.

Pre-designed card with beautiful water colour
background painted by my friend

So far, I have focused mostly on paper crafting - mostly cards. I already had a lot of paper from my years of scrapbooking (that I will probably never get back to) and card-making.

Another pre-designed card

I had Cricut Access for the first month, so I cut out a number of cards and things while I could, and set them aside for gluing later. If I'm being honest, there's still some I cut a year ago that I still haven't glued, but I've also put a number of them together and given them out :).

This was made using the foil tool
I got for my birthday.

Hard to tell, but I used my
glitter gel pens here.

After that first month, I've been on my own in terms of designing, which has worked out fairly well, but can be difficult. Sometimes I'm able to mostly use something from the free library, such as some of the ones below (and the thank yous above).

This is a card I've been able
to make too many times.

I find it easy enough to write
on the outside of the card

But I often stick to gluing
an extra paper on the inside
Pre-designed outside

With custom-designed inside
based on the invitations

One of my favourites.
Foil background design.
A little custom work for the
two colour butterfly.

But sometimes I'm completely on my own. I have done some digital visual design work as part of my job, but this has definitely stretched me out of my comfort zone. 

One of my first solo designs.
Had better visions for it, but you have
to start somewhere
in the learning process :)

Baby card for an Eric Carle and bird
themed baby gift


I also took some time to make myself a sign for my laundry room as it saw a lot more outside use over covid :D.


I also have a number of cards I've made but have forgotten to photograph. I still have lots to learn, but I'm also very happy with what I've been able to do with it so far.

2 comments:

  1. This was very informative but you forgot to mention custom quilt templates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. That's true, I have used it for that, but I didn't really take any pictures of those 😁

      Delete