Saturday, February 23, 2013

Ready for Winter

I finally finished the hat and mitts I decided to make myself in November.

I got the pattern free from It is called Lacy Leaf. They have the pattern listed twice. It is labelled as an easy pattern and calls for 1 ball of Redheart Super Soft. It is also labelled as an intermediate pattern and calls for 2 balls of Redheart Super Soft. Since it only took me one ball, and not too much assistance I would go with the first option (although the pattern information is exactly the same on both so it really doesn't matter). The pattern description calls it "Super Soft", but it's really just called "Soft". I used the seafoam colour.

The mitts have a cuff that matches the pattern in the hat. It called for 3 rounds of the pattern, but I don't like huge cuffs, so I only did 2. It also called for the mitt to be 7 inches before making the slit for the thumb. Because I shortened the cuff, I just held it up to my hand to decide when to make the thumb (I think it was about 4.5 inches).

The hat also tells you to start on a circular needle and then switch to double pointed needles. I tried that, but I don't think my circular needle was the right size (circumference wise) and I had some trouble, so I just used the double pointed needles the whole time, which worked out fine.

This was only my second non-flat knitting project, and overall I am very pleased with it. I have an extra skein of the yarn (I bought 2 just in case...since the patterns didn't agree) that I need to find a new project for. Oh yeah, and I'm all ready for winter now.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

I'm a Seamstress!

Well, it's official. I've made my first piece of clothing. Well real clothing. I previously made my husband some pajama pants, but since they involved about 3 straight seams and nothing else, I don't think they count.

I followed this tutorial from Sew Dang Cute. It was super easy (minus the fight I had with the zipper...and the iron...and running out of thread). The only part I did differently was to skip the tulle at the bottom (I'm really not a tulle person).

I bought the fabric at Jo-Anns. My mom made me do the wrinkle test before I bought it (which involves squeezing the fabric in your hand and letting go and seeing how wrinkly it is). There was a cute grey fabric I liked but it didn't pass the wrinkle test. I figured tan is a good choice...goes with a lot. It cost me less than $20. Wardrobe win!

I wouldn't say it fits like a glove (the waistband could use some help...and definitely needs a hook and eye), but for my first piece of clothing I am very happy with it. I wore it to church this morning (although bare legs and -11 are not a good combination), and plan to wear it on Wednesday when I am back in my office next.

That makes two projects I finished this weekend...I'm on a roll. I might even get back into this blogging thing.