Monday, July 13, 2020

Covid Quilt Challenge #6: Yo-yos!

Life has gotten a little busier now that things are getting a little more back to normal (yay for getting to go strawberry picking :) ), so it's been a while since we did one of these. The challenge this time was yo-yos. We decided not to add a secondary part to the challenge this time, just yo-yos.

My friend decided to make a number of different-sized yo-yos for her piece. I think she did a bit more planning than me, since she said "I need 19 yo-yos" and I just made yo-yos and laid them out until there were enough.

She first created her background, which she decided to try some different dimensions than what she had been doing for the others. She fused and quilted circles onto the background.
Once that was ready she placed her yo-yos down and bound it. She added some interest by having a couple of them "stick" off the edge.
She auditioned some stitching:
And in the end decided to go for it.

I forgot to take many process pictures this time around. Friday night was spent as usual: brainstorming and doing a little testing. I never did figure out how to get my yo-yos as tight as my friend got hers, but they looked fine, so I went with it. I decided that I wanted to use bright colours for my yo-yos and was thinking of a couple different designs that I was going to try once I got the yo-yos made, but I got the first one laid out and really liked it, so went with it. It was an L-shaped overlapping borderish design. I think that has been one of the designs I had considered for the last challenge as well, so that shape was already in my head and needed to come out :)

I also made a few different sized yo-yos, some of which I stacked on top of each other, others I left as single yo-yos. I added some buttons to a few of them, which also helped cover up some of my bigger holes. I was originally going to piece a background for it, but then I had this grey chevron fabric sitting on my ironing board that I had gotten at the thrift store a while ago that was just calling out to be used with the bright colours. I decided to quilt mine first (white stitching in the white chevrons), then attach the yo-yos, and finally attach the binding. (You can't see in the picture but the line of quilting going under the top green yo-yo is done in yellow).
I love how bright and sunshiny and fun it is :)

Here are the backs:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment