Monday, May 11, 2020

At It Again: Covid Quilt Challenge #2

This past weekend it was time for covid quilt challenge number 2. This time we used a magazine page for inspiration. We drew a random number and went to the magazines we own to find a page that was inspiring. It was a bit of a challenge because we have lots of older magazines with lots of pages that don't even have any pictures on them. We settled on this page:

We picked up on lots of the same elements on the page, but still ended up with unique projects. My friend decided to make her own plaid (and quite expertly). The grey bit at the bottom is even a little pocket :)

She also picked up on the gold rings in the picture and used this lovely blue and gold fabric for the backing. (And check out those mad lining-up skills with the sewing lines and the pattern on the back.)

After a few sketches, I decided to do a modified card trick block. I liked that it mimicked the placement of the hand warmers. The math took me a little bit of fiddling, and I didn't get my pattern matching to work the way I wanted, but I decided it was good enough.

I quilted it in a plaid design. It was a lot of ends to work in for such a small project (this was less than half of them).

Partway through the quilting, I wished I had quilted in grey instead of blue and red because it was feeling too busy. But, in the end, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Again, I decided to go ahead and try a second design, which was a little more of a straight-forward take on thing. I focused more on the quilting in this one. And I wanted to see what an "unfinished" edge would look like - for future reference. I'm happy with the design again, but this one feels much more like a sample of some sort as opposed to a finished product.


This page was called "hand warmers" and in a weird twist, this morning (May 11), we woke up to snow. I took the opportunity to do a small photoshoot.




No comments:

Post a Comment